FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Should wind deformities be declared?
Irish Paddy

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Adding to the subject of why we might not buy a horse I thought I might raise the issue of wind deformities. When we buy a Yearling it is passed clear (or declared unfit) of any wind deformities - I have no problem with that. When a stallion goes to Stud, many have a clear wind certificate and generally a wind deformity is difficult to conceal during a top racing career. I can live with that too. But what I find incredible difficult to accept is that when I purchase a filly out-of-training or a broodrmare I have no guarantee whatsoever that the female I am about to breed from is CLEAR OF HER WIND.
    Now I know aged mares cannot be lunged for their wind but what I would like to see is that all horses (colts and fillies) who have ever failed a wind test, then this failure should be endorsed on the passport. That would be a start. What do others think?
      My next step would be for some sort of wind deformity asterisk - or something like that - be attached forevermore to the unfirm female's name in every catalogue. In other words, we should know when buying foals/yearlings if their dam was sound of her wind or not. etc..
      Jump to: