FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Gleneagles
TOPOFTHEHILL

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:26 am

In light of recent results I think it would be appropriate to have another look at Gleneagles. He is the sire of the July Cup winner Mill Stream, and of Ambiente Friendly runner up in the Derby. I had always considered him likely to be a really top class stallion, and was actually surprised he has proven to be such a slow burner but his record before last week is pretty reasonable. He was scoring over 9% stakes winners to runners which is above average. His G1 winners lagged a bit but he is now responsible for 5 individual G1 winners. His stud fee as you might expect has dropped too, I wouldn’t be surprised if you could get him for about Euro 15K.
He is by Galileo out of Yoursothrilling a Storm Cat mare. He was a Champion 2yo and a dual Classic winning 3yo over a mile. With all the classic staying lines and a little bit of speed thrown in, what was not to like. He appears to have been largely overlooked by his owners and that is their loss.
What is he working with? Well a lot really but I suspect that is because he has been poorly targeted rather than he really shows a lot of affinity with certain lines. He hasn’t really got enough top class runners to be sure.
Danzig is every G1 winners pedigree and 80% of his stakes winners as a group. Danehill of course, but similar to Montjeu there look to be a lot of Sadler’s Wells, Fairy Bridge and Specials among his elite runners dams pedigrees.
Another interesting thing is that he has sired winners at the very top grade from 6 furlongs to a mile and 6 furlongs, although I am going to add a few comments to that. It appears that if you send him a mare with a sprinting pedigree you might get a sprinter and if you send him a mare loaded with staying blood you are going to get a stayer.
Lets get the sprinter out of the way first. Mill Stream was a bit of a surprise winner of the July Cup. His dam Swirrel Edge is a modestly bred filly by Hellvelyn, out of a Shamardal mare (Pizzarra). Shamardal is by Giants Causeway who is a full sibling to Yoursothrilling. This is obviously the class section of the pedigree the rest is full of speed, Ahonoora, Music Boy, Petong.
Another thing that just needs to be said is that the sprinting division this season is far from strong and the race did expose the 3yo sprinting form as well below the level we expect. It highlights the flawed race planning and splitting up of the big sprints at Ascot keeping the 3yo’s away from older competition. That’s what happens when you dilute the competition.
Loving Dream won the Prix de Royallieu (2817m) and the Ribblesdale. Her dam side couldn’t be more different. The dam is by Danehill Dancer, out of a Sadler’s wells mare. She was out of an Alleged mare and she was out of a Star Appeal mare. All classic staying blood.
Palladium won this years Deutsches Derby his dam is all typical German staying lines.
Highland Chief won the Man O War stakes (11 furlongs) he is out of a Montjeu mare out of a Darshaan mare from the family of Blue Duster.
I am just going to add a bit about Mill Stream. He has a double xpath to Almahmoud, and so did Shaquille the winner of the race a year ago. Coincidence? Obviously.
Jump to: