FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> 2022 Sales Season
TOPOFTHEHILL

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:55 am

I am off to Italy for a few days and taking my Tattersalls catalogues along for some serious research. This year I am adding a new metric. For mares with progeny there is a very telling line in the entry. I am looking at a yearling in Book 1 , the dam has produced 8 foals of which 7 have been winners She is an 88% mare. Another has produced 5 winners from 9 foals so she is a 56% mare but as 2 of those are black type she becomes a 56%+ mare. In addition her dam produced 7 winners from 12 foals so a 58% mare. What interested me was that by the time you start to look at Book 4 yearlings the numbers you would expect decline so its a more typical 30% mare. But every now and then there is a really high percentage mare. Is this an indicator of potential value. Well I really don't know but I am going to spend a bit of time looking at it. Of course all the other factors need to be applied, is the stallion any good or has the individual got 4 legs and are they of a pattern that would stand training and all that sort of thing that you do anyway. My already well annotated books are going to get another indicator. Laughing Reply
Jump to: