FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Yearling costs
Mr Jones

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 18:10 pm

Without taking the cost of the nomination into account, I reckon any yearling sold for UNDER 10k is a loss. In other words - in my opinion - if you dont get 10k plus the cost of the nomination you are on a loser. What do other think? Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:17 am
    Everybody's cost will be different, but it seems to me to be a reasonable estimate, possibly a bit on the low side. I think the biggest underestimation that breeders make is the value of their time. Most breeders are or were something else before being breeders. They had a net worth, and they should value their time at what it was doing what they used to do because they would probably be doing that still if they were not breeding. Things are different between the UK and Ireland with different land values and taxation regimes but here it is better to make a modest profit and pay tax on it and let the value of your asset (the farm ) appreciate, where you are and what potential you hold for future development makes a huge difference to any investment. Reply
  • Villicious»Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:48 am
    Yes Mr Jones that is a good starting guesstimate but as TOTH says, the figures are going to vary wildly. If you have a little paddock in your village that you rent or you board your mares at Coolmore, just think about the variety there! Also of course the depreciation of your broodmare asset can be the biggest yearly cost that you have. Plenty of mares have cost £100,000 and plenty of them are losing more than £10,000 a year in value. Just a silly but pertinent reminder! Reply
  • Mr Jones»Sun Oct 03, 2021 22:05 pm
    Good point about the depreciation in value of the mare. I estimate producing three foals in five years might be reasonably accurate. Reply
Jump to: