FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Something or Nothing
TOPOFTHEHILL

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:56 am

An interesting result from Woodbine on Sunday in the Grade 2 Dance Smartly stakes over 10 furlongs on Turf. The winner was a filly Mutamakina. She is by Nathaniel ex Joshua’s Princess by Danehill. Well nothing too remarkable until you look at the pedigree in detail. Joshua’s Princess is out of Josh’s Pearl x Sadler’s Wells so Mutamakina is 3x3 to Sadler’s Wells.
Enable was also by Nathaniel and 3x2 to Sadler’s Wells.
I have Enable as one of two stakes winners bred 3x2 to Sadlers’s Wells, the other is moderate listed winner We Are Ninety. I have nearly 40 runners bred on that cross so while the sample is really quite small its probably enough for most commercial breeders to say it is not really working.
The 3x3 cross which is represented by Mutamakina has been tried a lot more but is similarly lacking a high success rate. From nearly 1000 runners there have been 44 stakes winners with 6 winning at G1.
What I would dearly like to do but can’t is compare these with runners by Nathaniel, I am sure his personal data would be very different. So is there something about Nathaniel that over-rides the negative impact of inbreeding to Sadler’s Wells and if there is can we identify it and use it to advantage.
The first place to look is Nathaniels dam Magnificent Style x Silver Hawk ex Mia Karina x Icecpade. Well Silver Hawk is by Roberto (HailTo Reason ex Bramalea). Sadler’s Wells dam is by Bold Reason (Hail To Reason ex Lalun) remember that Nathaniel himself was a Sadler’s X Roberto, could it be that simple? Not a chance! But it’s a start and if nothing else its interesting
Jump to: