FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Starman
TOPOFTHEHILL

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:10 am

Starman (Dutch Art ex Northern Star x Montjeu) winner of the July Cup has an unusual but also interesting pedigree. It is interesting on several levels. It is a really international pedigree and you could easily categorise him as a truly international hybrid.
On another but also indulgent level, I have often remarked that horses with pedigrees that contain 3 similarly bred ancestors appear to be blessed with tremendous speed. Its that old Forli, Tudor Minstrel, Abernant trinity and Starman has all three.
A brief look at his affinity profile suggests that his class is coming from his dam side and we have discussed Montjeu as a broodmare sire before.
As a sire Dutch Art has generally been found wanting. His stakes winners to runner id less than 5% and his G1 winners to runners 0.3%. He has in fact before this weekend sired only 3 G1 winners, Slade Power, Garswood and Mabs Cross. Slade Power was out of a Key of Luck mare (Danzig line) the other 2 out of mares by Kyllachy, who was by Pivotal and by Pivotal himself. As he stood at Cheveley Park Stud he probably covered a fair number of Pivotal mares.
As a broodmare sire Montjeu is really going well. I only have %data back to 2011 but he has 85 individual stakes winners and 10 now 11 at G1. He has done particularly well with Danehill mares Danzig and Green Desert mares. Although the data set is quite small he is also indicating an affinity with Dubawi. What interests me is that the aptitude of his runners runs from 5 furlongs to over 12 furlongs. And the split is pretty even.
He always gave me the impression of being a headstrong galloper but there is obviously class and speed in his own pedigree.
Jump to: