FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Montjeu as broodmare sire
TOPOFTHEHILL

Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:42 am

A few months ago we were discussing Montjeu both as a sire and as a broodmare sire, and the thing that got me interested in him is how often he is found in the pedigree of high class sprinters and milers. There is no obvious speed influence in his pedigree. His 3rd dam Adele Toumignon was by Zeddaan who was quick and from the Grey Sovereign line, Zeddaan’s dam was by Vilmorin (Gold Bridge) who I think was a Kings Stand winner.
Yesterday at York I think we saw the sprinting performance of the season so far by a horse who is by Dutch Art out of a Montjeu mare. Starman a 4yo with only a few races under his belt and first time out this season put away a reasonably smart field in a good time under slowish conditions. He is a big horse but looked pretty straight so I don’t know how much improvement there will be in him. If not from his condition but more from the fact that he has been raced so lightly you might expect him to take a forward step and surely his next run will be a G1 at Ascot.
Starman’s dam is already the dam of stakes placed Sunday Star (Kodiac) and in fact if you look along the dam line it’s a very aspirational family, pretty classy without being absolutely top class which may explain why the mares along the dam line were not retained by some pretty good breeders. I think the ‘sociology’ of a thoroughbred family can be very interesting, and this one surely is. And I don’t think its peaked just yet.
Starman is by Dutch Art and I know he was all the rage at one time but I was never quite convinced about him. His dam although reasonably well bred was quite useless, her dam Palacegate Episode was a really workman like filly of listed and G3 class. But lets face it Dutch Art has not delivered consistently or often enough 0.3% G1 winners to runners and about 4% Stakes winners to runners is not exactly brilliant. He is of course by Medicean who was a great stallion for getting a breeder with a tricky mare out of jail.
When we discussed Montjeu it was noted that he needed a lot of Native Dancer and it seems that this may be the case for a Montjeu mare too. Starman has quite a lot of lines in his sire side. He also has a lot of lines of Plucky Liege through several of her high class siblings.
Jump to: