FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> These 50-50 split nom fees.....
Eclipse

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:56 am

I know Highclere Stud in UK have some sort of split fee nominations where you pay 50% Oct 1st and then only pay the balance if the resultant produce is sold (as foal/or yearling) for more then three times the nomination. It sounds a fairly attractive proposition and I am wondering does anyone know has it taken off? Reply
  • Reference Point»Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:18 am
    My opinion is that they are keeping the stud fee artificially high with these offers. Cut the fee and be done with it. Reply
  • Villicious»Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:40 am
    It’s the old perception thing isn’t it?it is a way of the stallion owner taking some of the risk -but not saying to the world that the horse is devalued and on a downward trajectory which let’s face isn’t attractive. Highclere did something similar with Landforce last year and this time they are just shouting about it. Spendthrift are basing a business model on it and I suppose it shouldn’t be knocked too much if that’s what the consumer desires?
    • Reference Point»Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:49 am
      I think breeders need to do what they think is best for themselves. For my part I prefer to know where I stand each year. Its all well and good saying you don't have to pay until you get such a price but to be honest its your time and effort and quality of mare that is being bought. They will take what they can from the poor mares knowing there will be none to follow as it is jam today. Further if you had a poor season and that foal/yearling happens to be the only one that turns a profit having to give a few thousand of it away will hurt. My approach is to know what I can afford to spend and be honest with the stud. Don't start bullshitting about the stallions average returns or what season he is in, simply say 'I like your stallion a lot, but I can only afford this much. I realise he is worth more but I just can't afford it.' As long as you are being realistic and polite with the offer he will do it if he can. Then pay your bill on time and live to fight another day. Reply
    • TOPOFTHEHILL»Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:28 am
      I agree RP in fact I would go further, I would like to see a straight fee due after the mare is scanned in foal (30 day terms) Obviously as breeders have been given alternatives it would cause cash flow difficulties but this would be overcome by a lowering of the fee. Economic fundamentals work exceptionally well if give every chance, its when businesses start to hide the fundamentals or try to protect clients from the reality of what they have contracted to do that prices actually increase to cover the costs of defaulters and late payers. Reply
    • Gone West»Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:30 am
      Sorry TOTH but I think that payment on a 30 day scan is a dreadful idea. (Unless the fee is returned to the breeder if the mare fails to have a live foal) Reply
    • Reference Point»Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:31 am
      In truth GW that is pretty much the same scenario as October terms. I suppose you are getting a few months but mares usually slip or lose foals in the last trimester. Reply
    • TOPOFTHEHILL»Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:10 am
      GW I wasn't proposing any changes to the condition of the contract so if its nfnf or live foal it stays that way its just payment comes up front it could even be done through Weatherbys like a racing account to ensure that repaid sums are done quickly and correctly. Without even thinking about it I may have thought of a way that breeders become registered just like owners (the fee would need to be minimal) then all the transactions are done through a central account and that would help with breeders being open to inspection for medication administration. Reply
    • TOPOFTHEHILL»Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:54 am
      GW its astonishing how we become so used to things that we completely misunderstand how things used to be done. Of course today we are all used to NFNF or Live Foal terms payable Oct 1st or when the foal stands and sucks but historically it used to be different. Stud fees were always straight fee and payable whether there was a pregnancy or not. And lets not forget this was in the days before ultrasound scanning. Breeders could insure against the barren outcome and fees were cheaper and the cost of the insurance was a business risk decision. When NFNF came in it was substantially at a higher fee. I wonder if breeders moaned about how expensive these new NFNF charges were? Reply
    • Reference Point»Wed Feb 03, 2021 13:20 pm
      I would be happy to pay 30 day terms and accept the risk if it was priced accordingly. Some of thee stallion prices are mad but maybe that is why, the stallion owners are taking all the risk. I would like to see AI and just buy a vial of sperm of the shelf. Reply
    • Mr Jones»Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:31 am
      I would ask them this. If the foal/yrl fails to make the paid half nomination cost will they the stud return half of it to the breeder! Reply
    Jump to: