FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Grand Prix du Jockey Club
TOPOFTHEHILL

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:23 am

In 2005 the French authority changed the distance of their premiere staying classic from 2400 m to 2100 m. There was much discussion about the merits and consequences, and whether we in the UK and Ireland might follow suit. I was thinking it might be a good time to review the scenario and looked at the winners since and which of these winners had found an influential place at stud. Obviously the opinions are highly subjective but the new race (distance) has produced Shamardal, Lawman, Le havre, Intello, New Bay, Almanzor in 2016.
The Derby over the same period. It’s a bit difficult because while not complete duds Motivator and Authorized have a place but my list is as follows. Sea The Stars, Camelot, and stretching it a bit Australia.
I find it easy to nominate the French race as the more likely to produce a stallion of importance. And another thing I noticed, the Derby has been totally dominated by owners Smith, Tabor and Magnier but they have not won the Grand Prix di Jockey Club since the change.
Jump to: