FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Goffs propose selling online
Green Man

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:42 am

I cant really get my head around it but Goffs have announced that the Autumn Yearling sale which was to take place 4/5 Nov and then moved to take place 13/14 Jan 2021 well they have now sent an email to all vendors proposing having the sale online on 18/19 Nov. They propose video's etc of the yearlings and full-vet certs etc.. I just need someone to tell me what they think ! Will it work? Reply
  • Reference Point»Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:04 am
    Only on line? I think it will work. Apparently the online contribution to the recent Tatts sales was considerable. Still I would have thought you need to have eyes on them. Reply
  • Green Man»Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:12 am
    Yes my understanding is that the yearlings will all remain in their home base and vendors can submit a video but the yearlings will not be inspected in the flesh if you know what I mean. They will also have a full vet certificate and can be re-vetted by the buyers vet and returned if vets disagree. Reply
  • Oreally»Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:16 am
    The online contribution at the recent sales as you say, was considerable but you can be sure those online buyers were acting on the advise of agents who had inspected the yearlings either at the sales paddocks or on their consigner stud base. This is a different scenario. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:04 am
    Spot on Oreally, I was asked to look at plenty in Book 1 and although its not really one of my skill sets my understanding was that a potential absentee purchaser would ask a few people present to look at individuals before deciding to have them vetted. There is one condition of sale at this online sale that is interesting and I think important. You can have them vetted again by your own vet, (although I don't see how this is ever going to work as you have to do it before 5 pm on the last day of sale and if they are all over the place it will not be physically possible) and if there are any disputes the sale can be cancelled at the discretion of the PURCHASER. So all the 'power' is with the purchaser. That may give enough confidence to make the sale at least tenable. My personal view has always been that online bidding can only succeed after physical inspection. Skilled photographers and videographers will make idiots of on line viewers, make no mistake. Reply
  • Mark One»Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:54 am
    I'm sure you are right TOP but here is a thought. How many breeders send a mare to a stallion they have never seen in the flesh? Reply
  • Reference Point»Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:46 am
    Most have never seen them when they are yearlings or racing. Looking at them when they are at stud doesn't help a great deal. It does a bit I suppose. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:06 am
    Probably most of them at one stage or another MO. And while I am not saying that is right they are only considering half the question, buying a yearling to run is considering the whole question. RP also makes a good point and I think we have discussed this before. Going to see a stallion that is standing after his first season is not that helpful you really need to see them when they are in training, they change so much at stud and a good stallion man will make them look fantastic anyway although my tactic was to go and see them in the summer and ask to see foals and yearlings in the paddocks. Doesn't work with the big stallion stations but a lot will have some progeny about. Generally anyone who wants to have a role in this business needs to look at horses at every opportunity, on studs and the track and at sales. If this covid stuff goes on much longer there is going to be a whole year or more missing from our collective experience and the consequences should not be underestimated. Reply
  • amadán»Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:39 am
    I have a lot (i.e. one lot) in this sale. It was ready to go, then when the sale was moved to January the stud owner said they would back off preparation, give the yearling a break, and start again around Christmas - very inconvenient for staff. I was told people who buy yearlings to sell in the 2yo breeze-ups were would not bee interested in buying in January as that was too late. I think I will submit a crayon drawing of the yearling on a ruled sheet of A4, probably with it wearing a face mask. Reply
  • Irish Paddy»Sun Nov 01, 2020 17:26 pm
    I have a few in it as well. I just cannot contemplate what the planned sale in January would be like - especially straight into the Brexit situation. Goodness knows what restrictions might be in place this January. But I am also finding it hard to imagine how the 'online sale' will work as it will not be like the ones we have seen so far. This time there will be no reserve so the vendors must bid on their own horses. I said to Goffs "but isn't that risky if for instance a vendor was in a poor Broadband area"? The reply was "' Oh eh, we hadn't thought about that" ! Reply
  • Irish Paddy»Tue Nov 03, 2020 22:04 pm
    It appears Goffs have changed their minds and looks like reserves CAN be placed. Reply
  • amadán»Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:15 am
    27 lots withdrawn on Monday, 2nd November, 45 lots withdrawn on Tuesday 3rd November. Viewing the online catalogue it looks like a big chunk of the catalogue is withdrawn. I was told the January sale date would probably see many lots sold privately before then. The change in daye by Goffs is probably an attempt to stop that. When I phoned the stud this week they had not heard the sale was changed from January to an online sale in November. My phone call mentioning this thread was the first they heard, and they have more in the sale than my one lot. Reply
  • Martin X»Thu Nov 05, 2020 17:33 pm
    Looking at the wedsite today there are 79 withdrawn on first day and 35 on second day. Total withdrawn so far 114 from a catalogue of 460 lots. Reply
  • Red Light»Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:13 am
    They all have to have a video on the Goffs site but as far as I can see very few have video's to date. Reply
  • amadán»Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:41 pm
    Not surprising. Goffs have the kit to film their auctions so they think every little ten box stud in the country has similar equipment. I doubt Goffs asked every stud could the stud video and photograph their lots in the sale before Goffs made it a requirement. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:18 am
    Its really easy to make quite professional video clips using an action camera like a GoPro Hero the technology is unbelievable and with alittle editing it is amazing how professional these can look. I do all my diving video using one they are tiny about the size of a fag packet but what you can do never ceases to amaze me. Reply
  • Red Light»Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:17 am
    Amadan and I.P. - can I ask have either of you got yours videod and on Goffs website catalogue yet? Reply
  • amadán»Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:37 pm
    I looked at Goffs website and for my lot and the others from the stud they do not have videos or photos up Goffs site yet. When talking to the stud I said they could get it done professionally for my one lot. They said they would do it themselves for all the lots. A worry is you can not put a reserve on a horse, and all lots start at Euro 1,000. I said you can withdraw my lot if you like, but they said to keep in as it was prepared for the sale. Reply
  • Irish Paddy»Fri Nov 06, 2020 17:42 pm
    Now you have me worried Amadan. I will have to read the circular again. I am under the belief that reserves ARE now allowed. I have had mine Vetted and I also have the video's already up online but I am now concerned about having made the wrong decision as the idea of this sale working is a worry. Reply
  • Irish Paddy»Mon Nov 09, 2020 16:12 pm
    Here is the confirmation that RESERVES can be placed. "Reserves may be placed by Vendors, and no commission will be charged on reserves up to €20,000. Reserves, as well as any undeclared vices, should be e mailed to mkilduff@goffs.ie, by 12.00 next Monday. If no reserve instructions are received, Lots will be sold without reserve. Vendors may bid online for their own Lots and will be charged no buy-back commission on Lots recorded as sold to “Vendor” up to, and including €20,000. Reply
Jump to: