Any opinions on stallions for a small broodmare? Reply
  • Dargent»Thu Oct 22, 2020 20:07 pm
    Flat or NH. Sire and dam sire. Reply
  • Dargent»Thu Oct 22, 2020 20:09 pm
    Ireland, UK or France. Reply
  • jonly19»Thu Oct 22, 2020 20:31 pm
    Sorry flat. Uk or Ireland. Fast company and a kyllachy mare. Thanks Reply
  • Dargent»Thu Oct 22, 2020 21:11 pm
    Galileo Gold will give you size, he has a chance of being one of the leading first season sires next year. Another is El kabeir, again he will have runners next year. He puts a lot of size into his offspring. Both should be good value next year. Footstepsinthesand is proven but will be a few thousand more than the previous 2. Reply
  • Reference Point»Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:40 am
    Dargent if he's in your budget and suits your mare Dandy Man is a big candidate. The ones I see in the UK are generally good strong types and they are really liked at the sales (on top of that he gets loads of winners). If you are on a smaller budget and size is your priority I haven't seen a small Outstrip yet. He didn't go great this year so maybe that's a commercial risk and not be good enough for you. Reply
  • Dargent»Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:58 am
    Yes Dandy Man, IMO you need a good big mare. I’d rather buy one than breed one. Awtaad is another who had big strong yearlings and foals. He could be good value next year. I don’t know enough about Outstrip, to be honest. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:38 am
    For what its worth I don't think you should obsess too much about size, a smallish mare can still be 'roomy' and in my own experience trying to manipulate something like size never worked for me. Some Danehill Dancers were smallish neat types and that is probably where its coming from. But I would say you need to stay as far away from Danzig as possible. Thats why Outstrip would be no good for you although RP is quite right I have never seen a weedy one yet. I would look for a Sadler's Wells with NO Danehill you could do worse than Decorated Knight I am sure they would deal big next season. I might be able to help you if you decide that way. Without doing any work I would say that its Scat Daddy, Nijinsky (so Storm Cat is OK too) and Mr Prospector would all be on your radar. Reply
  • Dargent»Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:03 pm
    TOTH I must be suffering from catalogue fatigue, I should of not forgot about DK. I have a involvement in 2 yearlings by him and both are nice yearlings, one sold and I seen the other been backed and ridden away yesterday. Have foal on ground by him also. From what I see of them they are athletic and can take work well. I do prefer to breed like to like but will use a small stallion on a big mare. Don’t like the idea of using big stallion on small mare though. Reply
  • Villicious»Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:46 pm
    If you don’t mind double Danehill Bungle inthejungle is a lump with better results than one could ever expect. Dandy Man will not give you size without help. Reply
  • jonly19»Sun Oct 25, 2020 19:51 pm
    Thanks guys. Interesting. Decorated knight worth a look. Anyone have any progeny by footstepsinthesand in the past and have some seen him in the flesh? Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:37 am
    Footsteps...... was a horse I liked a lot and a very good 2000 gns winner, As an individual he was more neat and tidy rather than drop dead. Perhaps slightly on the leg and not quite as much bone as you would want but with him I think it is all very marginal, it would not have taken a lot for him to be a really good looker. I seem to remember slightly small knees too and as he is out of a Rainbow Quest mare (top class one at that) you might expect small knees and joints. You would expect him to make a real nice job from a really plain mare. I expect I will be proved wrong but you couldn't imagine him throwing any extreme, not over big, not too small, never really plain, rarely a fantastic looker. Functional and athletic probably. Reply
  • jonly19»Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:02 pm
    Thanks toth. Good insight. Any opinion of sioux nation and highland reel if you have seen them? Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Mon Oct 26, 2020 15:32 pm
    Jonly you will not find too much wrong with any of the Coolmore stallions, when we critique them its generally against the very high standards that they themselves have set. Sioux Nation is a very well balanced good bodied type just what you would expect from Scat Daddy line. IMO he didn't really do enough on the track, but they are not asking fortunes for him I think he is good value for a sprinting type sire. A good get out of jail for a few mares who otherwise might be difficult to find the right stallion for. Highland Reel is again exactly what you would expect from a Galileo x Danehill. Fine looking horse with an excellent record on the track, his problems if he has any are the fact that he is a Galileo out of a Danehill mare. IMO ( I am no Jim Bolger or Juddmonte) No Sadler's Wells and no more Danehill even no more Danzig and that wipes out a huge number of mares. Its only my opinion for what its worth but I have a client who bought breeding rights and has 2 or 3 covers but his mares are not exactly what he needs. Now if that is replicated too much he is going to disappoint early on and commercially that could be the end of him in no time at all. That would be a great shame. He is a really good example of the thoroughbred maybe just slightly long in the pastern but a great shoulder and top line. Strong quarters and acceptable hind leg. Its easy to look at them in parts but as a whole he is a nice sort of sire. If he imparts a little bit of his tenacity and will to win he will do very well. Reply
  • Dargent»Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:15 pm
    Agree with TOTH on Footsteps, I've used him a bit with varying degrees of success. Make sure your mare has not any wind issues. I have a mare now by him who has bred a ok first foal. Strong average size good enough bone etc, nothing wow about him, but nothing really wrong either. Reply
Jump to: