FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> More Montjeu
TOPOFTHEHILL

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:23 am

While I was away I started to think a bit more about Montjeu and why he was so phenomenal, I started to look at his best runners and some interesting things become apparent. I don’t know if they are remotely significant, just interesting.
As a sire he was first and foremost an outcross with no duplications in his first 5 generations, by Sadler’s Wells out of Floripedes x Top Ville. He sired 32 G1 winners and the first thing I noticed was that if you look at his best runners they are predominantly colts in fact only 6 of his G1 winners were fillies.
I started to look at each of his runners with 2 or more G1 wins and it was noted that most had another Northern Dancer line in their pedigree and all but one were inbred within 5 generations. Of the 13 horses 6 were 3x5 Northern Dancer (another 3x4) 6 were 5x5 Native Dancer (remember I am just looking at 5 generations and Native Dancer is the sire of Natalma dam of Northern Dancer)
His stakes winners had Northern Dancer in 59% of the pedigrees of their dams (62% of the G1 winners) Never Bend/Mill Reef/Shirley Heights can be found in 33% of his stakes winners pedigrees (38% of the G1 winners) and Mr Prospector 33% (31% of his G1 winners)
It’s a huge affinity with Native Dancer and multiples of Native Dancer and in part supports a strong affinity between Sadler’s Wells and Shirley Heights which was highly fashionable no so long ago.
Now as a Broodmare sire Montjeu is doing really well so the fact that the majority of his elite runners were colts is not necessarily holding him back. Neither is it repeating itself because in fact the opposite is happening. As a broodmare sire he has been responsible for 10 G1 winners 7 of which have been fillies and 3 colts.
I wondered if that reliance on Native Dancer would hold and to an extent it looks to be doing just that. Northern Dancer is to be found in the sires pedigrees of 85% of his stakes winners and 100% of his G1 winners. But while all the usual suspects are on the premises the big influence seems to be Danzig/Danehill. Danzig will be found in the sires pedigrees 50% of his stakes winners, (54% G1 winners) Danehill in 40% (33% G1 winners) His Majesty sire of Razyana dam of Danehillcan be seen in 40% of the pedigrees of the sires of his stakes winners (49% G1 winners). Mr Prospector 50% (54% G1) and Mill Reef 10% (16% G1).
I think its about time I did a bit of research on Native Dancer. Of course he is in many pedigrees but he appears to play a very important role in Montjeu’s runners and those runners out of Montjeu mares.
Jump to: