FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

RACING FORUM >> Longer cards and fewer races
Reference Point

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 15:23 pm

Policy on the hoof. Apparently jockeys love it, who cares? The ROA hasn't sent me a questionnaire about what I would like, the last I checked I pay the jockeys. Which tracks are going to miss out? Why is Nick Rust making policy suggestions? He's going and the new person is the one to have to implement them so nothing he says should have any bearing on anything. He keeps going on about pilots. What a plonker, it went South once why on earth should we get involved in any other government nonsense? Just let people in quietly with a small number at minor meetings where it can be managed properly and doesn't risk racing's reputation. Any policies being made this quick after covid are just knee jerk nonsense. Reply
  • Valerie»Sat Aug 22, 2020 16:00 pm
    Tell me please Ref P - are Bookmaker shops open in UK? Reply
  • Reference Point»Sat Aug 22, 2020 16:21 pm
    Yes they are Valerie. Sorry it should have said 'fewer meetings'. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:14 am
    Wee RP what do you expect from the BHA, common sense. If they are so concerned about jockeys travelling from meeting to meeting simply change their contract so they can't do it. Or as the next head honcho of the BHA used to administer cycle sports make it mandatory for jockeys to travel from meeting one to meeting two by bicycle. Actually as you will be aware it difficult for me this one because I really believe there is far too much racing. I would like to see the days reduced to 5 or 6 days a week, no meeting more than 4 days and a whole load of tracks that are primitive by 20th century standards closed down. Now that might also mean bigger cards in some instances but it would also give tracks the opportunity to provide better value. It might also provide a framework for higher quality racing which may be bad news for the smaller owner breeder but I think it is worth a try. All attempts by the BHA to 'grow the sport' are based on the number of races provided and nothing else. This is just wrong. What they need to do is provide better value for owners and spectators alike and grow the sport by attracting more of each. Reply
  • Mr Jones»Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:04 am
    The small races this year are pathetic in regard to prizemoney due to Covid 19 etc. so perhaps this years analysis should be ignored a bit. However, if the number of races is decreased surely that will push even more owners out of the sport? And they will be the small owners. No, I just dont see less racing being the correct answer. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:46 am
    I think Mr J you misunderstood or I just put it badly. I want to see more opportunity but I reject the BHA position that more and more low grade racing gives the smaller owner greater opportunity. All it does is give the bigger owners an opportunity to win a race with their expensive flops and that does nothing for the sport. I want to see a higher quality and less racing days just to give the people who work in the game a better work/life balance and make it a more attractive career. We need better facilities at the tracks and IMO some of them are well past it. Its never going to happen while the sport is run along factional lines each only looking at its own self interest. That way is the end game. Reply
  • Reference Point»Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:14 am
    I don't really have a strong opinion about whether there should be fewer meetings TOTH. My point is that someone in his position shouldn't be making public statements about policy without first engaging and consulting the most important people in the sport, the owners (at least that's what they keep saying). They were going to embark on a 5000 attendant pilot while at the same time owners weren't even getting a hot meal at the track and only 2 could go. Its bollocks. IMO he is all for a pilot just to add it to his CV. Maybe I'm just too cynical! Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:40 am
    RP your probably about right. Who needs these 'civil servant' types running what should and could easily be a dynamic and vibrant sport. Reply
  • Reference Point»Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:58 am
    and now we have another non horse person leading the BHA just when we needed one. The tracks and the bookmakers just want the product as cheap as possible and will endorse all these 'civil servant' type policies all day long. Many of the problems would be solved if the finances were fair and the profiteering eradicated. It's easy for Nick 'I've got my notice in' Rust to talk about issues at the periphery of the sport but how about exposing the tracks and bookmakers for their role in it's problems. It's all 'welfare and whips' to muddy the water. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:32 pm
    Makes you wonder what the new head will concentrate on, perhaps medication after all she was running British cycling and that's a sport with squeaky clean image on drugs. Reply
Jump to: