FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

RACING FORUM >> Goodwood - do you know.....
Justamoment

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 20:41 pm

I noticed on TV that at Goodwood, in the parade ring, the horses are walked around anti-clockwise. Also, at the new Curragh layout they also go anti-clockwise. At Ascot I know they walk clockwise, as they do at many Irish tracks. Has anyone an explanation for me ! Reply
  • Reference Point»Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:27 am
    Its tradition verses safety. If you walk anti-clockwise you are on the inside of your horse and the people in the parade ring are a little less likely to get kicked. Reply
  • Oreally»Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:45 am
    Then tell me - why dont all tracks have the runners walking anti-clockwise? Surely an unruly horse could kick a racegoer on the rail just as easy as someone in the parade ring. I mean, the rail will surely stop a horse from going far and give the groom a better change of controlling him whereas it could go anywhere across a parade ring. Reply
  • Reference Point»Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:43 am
    I can't. Just know thats why they do it. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:11 am
    I don't know either RP but from my very unreliable memory I thought there was a hedge all round the parade ring at Goodwood and the public so plenty of cover for anyone watching the horses and I think it is double fenced too so there would be no safety issues. Furthermore if you go to the July course at Newmarket they go anti clockwise in the pre parade ring and clockwise in the parade ring proper. while at the Rowley mile they go clockwise round both. Reply
  • Gone West»Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:37 am
    It's a strange one and I dont know the official answer. Going clockwise to me surely puts the people in the parade ring at greater risk. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:31 am
    Here is the official answer. They believe it is safer and if you think carefully it really is. Going the other way when the trainer legs up the jockey he has to wait until the horse passes and he is trapped against the rail. A horse resenting a jockey or feeling a pinch in the girth could lash out and the trainer has no where to go. Apparently Windsor is the only other flat track that go anti clockwise. Reply
  • Reference Point»Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:42 am
    Although at the moment the paddock must be the safest place in town as there isn't anyone in there. I was at Ayr last week and it was dreadful. Reply
  • Justamoment»Mon Aug 03, 2020 19:21 pm
    Thanks TOP - it's great on here where we all do are best to answer questions and I learn a lot! Reply
Jump to: