FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

RACING FORUM >> How many horses are in training now?
Mark One

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:14 am

I read somewhere that a top trainer said he had only 30 horses in when he normally had 200. Now he is a N.H trainer so I suppose at this time of the year his numbers in training would reduce anyway but he is a top trainer. I am wondering about the Flat trainers. An owner can cut expenses by removing a horse from a trainer to a small tick-over yard but that means his trainer still has to pay the wages or let staff go. Any other problems anyone sees on the horizon? Reply
  • Megabucks»Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:49 am
    A friend of mine has 2 N.H horses in training and he has sent both off to a farm for their summer break. Basically they would have gone on holidays in about 6 weeks so nit a big loss for the trainer. However, the Flat trainers are the ones in my opinion that could suffer the biggest loss and if some of their horses go off to a farm there is a big chance they will never return to the same trainer. Reply
  • Reference Point»Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:27 am
    I think small owners like me are in a bit of a spot. I had two in training (a 3 and 4yo) and a 2yo is in pre training. I took the 4yo out because she was low grade and even when racing resumes she will struggle to get a run. It was a real bugger because she has had a few runs and ready to win in her grade. The 3yo looks ok so I left her there as she wouldn't have run until May anyway. If it goes on past May she will come out unless there is a definite/imminent date on the cards. I think that is how most people are thinking so it's good that there is a group of trainers pushing for a start. We all need a date that we can plan to. Reply
  • barney»Thu Apr 09, 2020 13:38 pm
    When racing starts again they should have 9 or 10 races per meeting otherwise the ballot system will drive owners bonkers. They should announce that now too so owners can have some hope. Reply
  • Mr Jones»Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:37 am
    Yes Barney - when racing resumes there will be so many horses that will have no chance of ever winning this year., and that's if they get to run at all. Reply
  • Reference Point»Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:13 am
    If they could get racing going again in early June (which is a reasonable guess with Germany starting in May) by September there should be an opportunity to get an extended programme going to accommodate the 2 and 3yo's. I think the Tatts Feb sale will have a lot of HIT entries. Reply
Jump to: