FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> SELKIRK dies
Squid

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 20:42 pm

I see that SELKIRK died yesterday - I think he was 25 and as far as I know his last crop are yearlings. How would you rate him as a sire - I know he got loads of winners but has he any famous sons at stud? Reply
  • Mill Reef»Fri Jan 04, 2013 18:30 pm
    He has to date sired 15 individual Gr 1 winners. Reply
  • Irish Paddy»Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:15 am
    Have to say I associate him as being a good sire of fillies. Three of note being Squeak (Beverly Hills Handicap, Matriarch Stakes), Wince ( English One Thousand Guineas), and Announce ( Prix Jean Romanet). He also sired two Gr 1 winners in 2012 NAHRAIN and CITYSCAPE. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:57 am
    I think that is very fair Paddy. If you look at the bare facts he actually sired more stakes winning colts but at the top level (G1) his fillies were much more effective. Standing at an 'independent' stud with a reputation for not over breeding he was a very good stallion. A reliable source of class although some of his progeny could be a bit fierce as he was himself. Also remember he was a rig. Top class at his best on the track although some of his foals were very plain with loads of white trim he was under represented at the sales and became an owner breeder stallion. I was shocked to hear of his death as I saw him the day before and he looked in rude health. Reply
Jump to: