FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

RACING FORUM >> Sprint 3yoDiv.
TOPOFTHEHILL

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 13:48 pm

The July Cup has completely convinced me that the standards of our bloodstock are falling fast, and it is in the sprint divisions that the fall is most noticeable. The winner of the July Cup was Mill Stream. He is an admirable type of horse who has competed at a good level for 2 seasons. He is absolutely no champion and rated before last week at 114. Before the race it was supposed to be a contest between the 3 yo's Inisherin and Vandeek. Vandeek came out on top but neither were really in contention. Inisherin was rated 117 and this is a long way over the top. I have him at 113. That is nowhere near the level a G1 winning 3yo should be. I am afraid that the dilution of the competition at Ascot is wholly responsible for the drop in standard in the sprints this season. In fact it is very difficult to say that the 3yo generation has much merit at all in 2024 (City of Troy excluded). The evidence is there. The BHA will choose not to see it but the way races are planned these days can only reduce competition and reduced competition reduces quality. The Commonwealth Cup experiment needs to be swiftly dropped from the program. Its just a start but it might just save the sprinters from mediocrity. Reply
Jump to: