FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> oasis dream for NZ
TOPOFTHEHILL

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:38 am

Thought this was interesting enough to take out of the Equinome posting. I agree fully with your analysis. Pedigree full of stamina especially Sorbus on the tail who ran in Irish St Ledger. I would place him as a sire of Classic miler/ middle distance horses, but in Equinome terms almost certainly a CT which means he is likely to produce gross a modo 25% CC, 50% CT and 25% TT. His early numbers will almost certainly be skewed towards speed because he was seen by many breeders as a sprinter and they would have sent him speedy type mares. Now by my definition he was actually not a sprinter but a miler. This sounds daft but that is what his pedigree says to me. Of course he was in fact a very high class sprinter but you just can't get away from that pedigree influence loaded with stamina. Now he is of course from the same family as Beat Hollow, whio was considered a Derby horse. So what has happened, he has sired loads of winners (well that is expected as he has a lot of class) and many of these have been quick but my impression is that the better ones Aqlaam Midday et al are those that stay beyond sprint distances. Since his fee went bonkers he has probably covered a much better classic type of mare and I would expect his progeny to clearly excell at 10 - 12 furlongs in greater numbers from now on. I would bet that sooner or later he has a serious Derby horse.

The Panorama thing is interesting too because Beat Hollow is also well capable of getting a very fast 2 year old, up to stakes class and that from very few opportunities with the right sort of mares.

And just as an aside I really beleive that the July Cup is a very misunderstood race. OK it is 6 furlongs at Newmarket and recognised as the sprinting championship in UK. The course however is extremely demanding and the Cup is nearly always won by a sprinter/miler if there is a high class one in the field. The sprinter/ miler will nearly always do the out and out sprinter over this course and distance. Oasis Dream beat Choisir, Starspangled thing beat Equiano, Royal Acadamy and so on. Of course there is NOT always a high class sprinter/miler in the field and in those cases pure sprinters can and do win but as a general indicator in 6 f races on the July course look for horses with good form at 7f or more.
Jump to: