FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Shamardal - a Wobbler?
El Gran Senor

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 20:00 pm

Hearing of the sad passing today of Shamardal got me thinking of his story as a foal whereby he was diagnosed as a grade 3 wobbler. In brief, he was ready for the knackery but some guy decided he was salvageable and the rest is history. He became a champion on the track and in the breeding shed. I believe the conclusion was that he was probably misdiagnosed as being a wobbler in the first place. Anyway, 18 months ago I had a 2yo filly who collapsed on the gallops. I sent her off to the Veterinary hospital where she too was diagnosed as a Grade 3 wobbler. The prognosis was bad and the advice given to me was that if I was foolish enough to want to save her I should give her 3 months box rest and then see how she got on - so long as she was comfortable to graze, then I could keep her as a pet. Anyway after the box rest I put her out to grass for the summer and she gradually became more and more stable. My vet was amazed to see her progress so well, so in November I took the decision to lunge her and then put a rider on her. Thankfully so far everything has gone really well and she has started back doing some fast work. There’s still a way to go to get her to the racecourse but I thought I’d share the story. I have great faith in the expertise of the equine vets but they don’t always get it right and it can be very satisfying when occasionally nature proves the experts wrong. Reply
Jump to: