FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Breeding Matters
TOPOFTHEHILL

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:53 pm

I spend an awful lot of my time, one way or another, looking at pedigrees. It may be through big race results, or helping clients with mares they want to breed from, or yearlings they need to sell. No matter it nearly always starts and ends with some sort of analysis of a pedigree.
When you spend that much time looking at pedigrees rather than doing all the things you should be doing in the real world, you develop a sort of sixth sense when you see similar patterns working in similar ways. I confess quite openly and unashamedly that nearly always in the fulness of time your initial feelings about a trend in pedigree development, nearly always turn out to be either wrong or perhaps not so earthshattering as you first thought.
I have recently been fixed on a particular horse who may turn out to make a much bigger contribution to the elite racehorse than is currently appreciated. That horse is New Approach.
Firstly he was a cracking good racehorse a multiple G1 winner from a classic generation that I would place above average. He was an outstanding 2 year old. His own pedigree is exceptional, by Galileo ex Park Express by Ahonoora. He is a fine example of an International Outcross with no duplications within 5 generations, and while at the time I considered him a doubtful stayer I suppose the influence of the French bloodlines which tend to be solid rather than brilliant, along with the advantages of being by Galileo made him slightly more likely to win at 12 furlongs than his bare pedigree might have suggested, to me at least.
His stud career is very hard to explain. His first 2yo’s were exceptional, he was Champion First Season sire but then it started to go very rapidly downhill. I think it is fair to say as things stand he has been a bit disappointing as a sire he is currently responsible for less than 1% G1 winners to runners, and about 6% Stakes winners to runners. He did become the sire of Masar who won the Derby and was the sire of heavily touted but subsequently disappointing Dante winner Telecaster.
He is also the broodmare sire of top class 2yo Earthlight by Shamardal. And there is an interesting thing going on with a lot of his top class runners. And I am convinced that no one has really noticed it.
Multiple G winner Potemkin His second dam is by Lagunas by Ille de Bourbon (NIJINSKY)
Derby winner Masar’s 3rd dam is by Lammtarra (NIJINSKY)
German G1 winner Eliptique’s 3rd dam is by Green Dancer (NIJINSKY)
Nassau winner Sultanina is out of a Zafonic mare Zafonic’s dam is by The Minstrel ¾ (NIJINSKY)
Multiple G2 winner Beautiful Romance 2nd dam is by Kings Lake (NIJINSKY)
New Predator is out of a Fastnet Rock mare the Rocks Dam is by Royal Academy (NIJINSKY)
The afore mentioned Telecaster is out of a Shirocco mare and his dam is by The Minstrel ¾ (NIJINSKY)
What may be more interesting still is that Earth Light, out of a New Approach mare, is by Shamardal x Giants Causeway x Storm Cat x Storm Bird. So what you may ask. Well Storm Birds dam South Ocean is bred along exactly the same lines as the dams of The Minstrel and NIJINSKY.
Jump to: