FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Poor walking stallions
Dargent

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 18:00 pm

I was just wondering if anyone can name sprint stallions who were poor walkers who made successful stallions. Why I ask is because in today's world at sales if the foal don't walk you may as well leave the horse in his box. Is it hereditary, does the walk or lack come from mammy or daddy or both or is it all chance.??? Reply
  • Villicious»Mon Jan 07, 2019 19:39 pm
    Shall we start with Dark Angel? People manage to get over his shuffling progeny. Reply
  • Mark One»Mon Jan 07, 2019 19:44 pm
    DARL ANGEL is a good example of what happens as (1) I dont rate him a sprinter and (2) He started low enough -why, because he was a poor walker maybe? - and then he proved himself as his first runners did really well. Once that happenned it doesn't matter a twat how he walks! Reply
  • Red Light»Mon Jan 07, 2019 20:53 pm
    If a stallion is a poor walker and his first crop are poor walkers then it all depends on how they run. DARK ANGEL is a good example (if indeed he is a poor walker - I dont know) So the obvious answer is to allow other breeders use poor walking first season sires and you hold fire until they prove themselves! Reply
  • English Gent»Mon Jan 07, 2019 21:08 pm
    Generally speaking I think sprinters are forgiven for being poor walkers so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Reply
  • Reference Point»Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:25 am
    I agree with that EG. In fact I would go as far as to say if that they may be better without a 'big' walk. Happy New Year all. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:46 am
    Bahamian Bounty was a shocking walker, he sort of paddled his way about, both Mummy's Game and Mummy's Pet were dreadful, in fact Mummys Game was so badly put together it was a wonder he could gallop at all. I think RP is right that really good sprinters rarely have a good walk and a lot of horses with perfect actions tend to have no gears and can be very slow. Reply
  • Irish Paddy»Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 am
    I agree with all comments and would just add that I like to view a new stallion when he retires to stud. I think you then see what a racehorse specimen he is. I say this because on many studs when you see them again the following year they have totally changed as regards walking etc.. Reply
  • Dargent»Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:23 pm
    Ok thanks guys for all that. Would it be fair to say so then that a sprint bred mare with a good walk balances it all out. I think it's better to get options on this site as we all have proof and know our mares and what they breed or not. Reply
  • barney»Wed Jan 09, 2019 21:04 pm
    I agree they change in physic and walk when retired to stud. Anyway, I believe a horse is not mature until he reaches five. Reply
  • Dargent»Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:26 pm
    Interesting on BB as I recently just bought one up and she is a pure power house almost to strong with a super walk. I may not have bought her if I had that information beforehand. Reply
  • Reference Point»Tue Jan 08, 2019 13:19 pm
    I think you might have. BB has got horses that can run further that 5/6 furlongs. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Tue Jan 08, 2019 15:05 pm
    Dargent what I failed to mention was that BB may have been a terrible walker at the end of his racing career but it would be more pertinent to know what he was like at the start of his racing career. Could the walk be the result of a life of hard races and strong work, often on firmish going. I don't have the answer. Reply
Jump to: