FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> William Haggas New Years Resolution
Reference Point

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:02 am

'to support the racecourses who continue to put their hand in their pocket and be less supportive of those who don't'

I think that should be one for us all.
  • Squid»Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:12 am
    Rubbish. Just awful. If he was training a horse for me I would want the horse (and me the owner) to come first and not be barred from a track that might be the best opportunity of my horse winning on. Just rubbish. Reply
  • Reference Point»Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:24 am
    I think what he is saying is if there is an alternative he will use it. You deserve crap prize money if your not prepared to make a stand that's why the game has got like it is. You might get your winner today Sqid but your future looks pretty shitty when they cut the prize money even more. And let's remember the people he trains for don't need it that badly so his actions help those of us that do. Well done Mr Haggas. Reply
  • Squid»Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:30 am
    Then he should have started his statement "With the approval of my owners etc.." Reply
  • Villicious»Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:46 am
    Squid he did say 'to be LESS supportive of those that don't. Hopefully your wham bam black and white answer to the post could have been a little more nuanced accordingly! Reply
  • Squid»Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:51 am
    No. His statement as printed above puts himself first and not his owners. Reply
  • Green Man»Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:06 pm
    Villicious what does being "LESS SUPPORTIVE" mean? You are either in or out as far as I would see. Will he use those tracks to lowly handicap his poorer runners or will he send his star performers to canter home in easy wins? IMO he is either in or out and less supportive means nothing! Reply
  • Villicious»Thu Dec 20, 2018 13:49 pm
    Gosh, more black and white. I sort of have to muddle through my life with a dose of pragmatism. I see very little black and white just light and shade. I imagine Mr Haggas will advise his owners to chose a fair track as often as possible or indeed when there is actually a choice. Sometimes they will have to compromise. We all do. Except of course Jeremy Corbyn Jacob Rees Mogg, Boris Johnson, Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin et al. They are always right. Reply
  • Irish Paddy»Thu Dec 20, 2018 14:42 pm
    Perhaps Haggas meant that " when" he has a choice between two options he will from now on, always choose the track that that is putting the more into racing. Reply
  • El Gran Senor»Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:20 am
    It's a an interesting one. As a small owner, I would be in favour of Mr.Haggas's stance and would be of the view that the racecourse should be punished for putting-up such a low purse. Let them get the Bookies to put-up more sponsorship if they want more runners. Its the old chesnut again. Why should the bookies contribute more, when they're having to close down shops because of the FOBT excuse and others? My answer would be - "because you've had it too good for too long Chaps". In how many other countries would you would walk down most high streets and pass so many betting shops as we do here in the UK and Ireland? On the other hand if I thought there were only going to be 3 other runners in a weak maiden at Chelmsford, then I may be tempted to compromise my strong principles for the sake of a potential winner! Reply
  • Reference Point»Thu Dec 20, 2018 13:08 pm
    Well said EGR. And of course I agree about nicking a soft race! Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:14 am
    There is a falsehood being propagated here that the less money and crappy facilities found at some tracks makes it automatically lower grade racing and easier to win. This is a nonsense and you have to research the results to understand that. Yarmouth is probably too easy an example but you don't get big money or easy maidens at the track. It is close to Newmarket and all the top trainers send their horses there. Nottingham, Leicester too. Big northern yards have plenty of runners and winners at Carlisle and Beverly. I remember when I started as an owner I would go anywhere. As time passed and I was treated poorly or the money was what I considered too little, I drew up a list of tracks where I did not want my horses to run, and it wasn't that short. If you have a runner that is so poor you can only hope to win the worst maiden or lowest grade handicap at a rubbish track my advice would be to give it away, in the end it will cost you less than you can ever achieve chasing that elusive win which will not elevate it into the saleable bracket anyway. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:19 am
    I will add that the pleasure you get from winning at some of these tracks isn't worth the pain of trailing round the godforsaken, soulless, unedifying tracks that make up the lowest grade of racing. One or two seasons of that will kill off the enthusiasm of even the most ardent owner and fan. Reply
Jump to: