FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Mare/Foal sales - is it time to rethink?
Irish Paddy

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:41 am

I am old enough to remember when mares were sold in the ring with the foal walking beside her. The purchaser got two for the price of one! Those days are long gone over here but the policy of selling mares and foals on the same day is a successful format operating in Keeneland. My question is - should we consider having the best mares and foals selling on the same day - Day ONE - over here? And then follow the same format right through the sale. Wouldn't a good looking foal add to the attraction of it's poor looking dam, and vica versa?
What we have these days at Goffs is - in my opinion - a bit of a mess. Up to this year they offered the worst foals first and offerred the best foals last. That format puts a huge limit on prices paid for the lesser foal as the buyer is always hoping they can wait and do better. Goffs are making a statement to the big buyers to come Thursday for the best foals and Friday for the best mares. This year they have added to the mess by stating publicly in their catalogue that the least attractive foals will be Saturday (last day). What overseas buyers of foals will wait from Wednesday till Saturday? What overseas foal buyers will fly in just for Saturday? It is not difficult to predict another dustbin sale next Saturday.
So, What do you think about selling using the Keeneland format of the best first (mares/foals) and follow right through?
Jump to: