FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> US NAVY FLAG
TOPOFTHEHILL

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:15 pm

US Navy Flag b.c War Front ex Misty for Me x Galileo
I suppose its easy to understand why the connections of US Navy Flag took the route they did with him, running him over a mile in top company. He is a full brother to Roly Poly who got the trip well. His courage in defeat will have hidden his deficiency in stamina well enough. He is of course a much neater individual than his illustrious sister and maybe that was the clue to switch him back to sprinting.
He proved however at Newmarket that the shorter trip was his forte although we have said before that the 6 furlongs at Newmarket’s July course is a stiff test and it may be that on a sharper track he might not be able to dominate in quite the same way.
He more or less made all setting a strong pace on quickish, but not overly fast ground. He had most of his rivals struggling at the 2 furlong pole and saw the race out well enough to remove any doubt as to the real merit of the contest. The runner up Brando is a real G1 operator and has won at that level.
The third looks interesting, Fleet Review has seen the back end of US Navy Flag a few times previously and has run creditably although possibly too many times in defeat. If he were able to take a step up it wouldn’t need to be a giant step to make him a really good prospect. He is bred on exactly the same theme as US Navy Flag being by War Front out of a Galileo mare.
Ascot G1 winner Blue Point can be forgiven, over this trip and this track he was never going to shine but his day will come again over 5 furlongs or an easy 6.
US Navy Flag has a pedigree that we are going to see a lot of in the near future. War Front on a Galileo mare provides some astonishing affinity figures. And with performances like this they are going to get better and better. And if Fleet Review can take that small step they will fall off the scale.
We are often asked can you have too much Northern Dancer and once again the answer seems to be no. US Navy Flag has him in every quartile, 3x6x4x5.
War Front offers a lot more however, his dam Starry Dreamer is from a very strong Mr Prospector line, out of a mare by Forli. So when he faces Galileo in a pedigree it’s a match through Sadler’s Wells grand dam Special x Forli, and Urban Sea who was by Miswaki x Mr Prospector.
There is also that background thing that keeps cropping up in really smart horses with Nijinsky and Storm Bird which, because it’s a distaff duplication, I think it balances up all the sire inbreeding.
There’s no reason why he shouldn’t make a stallion, although at this stage I would be pushed to make any sort of suggestion as to what mares he might favour.
Jump to: