FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

RACING FORUM >> Winx barrier trial delights Waller
Torquil

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:11 am

Champion mare Winx showed she has returned from a break in top order with an impressive barrier trial performance at Rosehill yesterday. Winx, who contested the opening 900 metre heat of the morning, looked in superb order when cruising to the line under a tight hold by jockey Hugh Bowman to finish sixth, two lengths behind Golden Rose winner Trapeze Artist. Star sprinter Redzel finished alongside Winx in seventh. Trainer Chris Waller said Winx's performance was exactly what he wanted to see at this early stage of her preparation. "I came here looking for exactly that and my first impression is I'm very happy," Waller told racingnsw.com.au. "In the trial Hugh could have ridden her on a piece of cotton. She did everything right. Maybe there is a little more improvement." Regular rider Hugh Bowman said: "I couldn't expect her to be better than what we've seen and for me it's about having her happy and if she's happy the rest will fall into place." He added: "I feel as though she's more comfortable at this stage of her preparation than she was last time. It's special to have her back...I'm looking forward to the next couple of months." Winx (Street Cry-Vegas Showgirl, by Al Akbar) created history in the spring when she joined the legendary Kingston Town as the only horse to win three Cox Plates and surpassed three-time Melbourne Cup winner Makybe Diva to become the greatest prize money earner in Australian racing history. The 15-time Gr1 winner is expected to have one more trial over 1000m at Rosehill on 5 February before resuming in the Gr2 Apollo Stakes (1400m) at Randwick on 17 February Reply
Jump to: