FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Colts v's Fillies at Sales.
Irish Paddy

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:57 am

I know I go on a bit about the difference between colts and fillies in the bloodstock business but I do feel strongly about the difference. I can accept a Vet charging the same to treat a colt or a filly. I can accept a stud charging the same 'keep' for a colt or filly. I can even accept Weatherbys charging the same to Register etc.. What I have difficulty accepting is the same nomination cost for a colt or a filly because from the moment of birth there is an overall predudicial different treatment for colts against fillies.
For instance, Day One at Goffs yesterday - as an example there were 20 foals catalogued by DANDY MAN. 17 colts and 3 fillies. From the 17 colts, 14 were sold for an average of €22,140 and the three fillies were sold for an average of 14,833. This is just an example. I presume DANDY MAN produced in 2017 a reasonably similar number of colt foals and filly foals ( I dont have the registered figures). So I ask, who decided to offer 17 colts and only three fillies? I guess the answer is some breeders considered it a waste of time entering a filly and didn't do so but the main reason to me anyway, is the Sales company reps want to offer more colts than fillies. And as business people they are perfectly right and made the correct decision as we can see from the results.
Obviously, if one has a Black-Type mare etc. then the difference can sway the other way but on average - and without any doubt in my mind - the middle market has a huge preference in favour of colts. So I ask, why are we breeders putting up with paying the same nomination for a colt or a filly?
Jump to: