FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

RACING FORUM >> McEvoy concedes Plate to Winx
Torquil

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:59 am

Tony McEvoy is looking forward to saddling up 3YO colt Royal Symphony in Saturday's Gr1 Cox Plate (2040m) at Moonee Valley, but is realistic about his winning prospects. The McEvoy-trained Fields Of Omagh scored an upset win defeating $1.60 favourite Lonhro in the 2003 Cox Plate, but he acknowledges that Royal Symphony is unlikely to produce similar heroics against champion mare Winx in this year's $3 million weight-for-age feature. "I don't think she can be beaten but I'm very pleased and proud that I've got a horse there that could be one to challenge her," McEvoy told racing.com. "But you've got to be realistic in this business. She's an incredible mare and she's doing things that most can't." Royal Symphony was one of several hard luck stories in the Gr1 Caulfield Guineas last-start. Settling towards the rear of the field, the talented colt was denied clear galloping room in the straight before flashing home for fourth behind surprise winner Mighty Boss in the $2 million feature. "Royal Symphony was luckless in the Caulfield Guineas. He ran fourth but I believe he should have won the race," McEvoy said. "And I think he's improved." Royal Symphony is currently an $18 chance with TAB for the Cox Plate, behind favourite Winx at $1.15. Reply
Jump to: