FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> MONDIALIST retires to stud
Shine On

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 13:14 pm

The GALILEO colt MONDIALIST has retired to a stud in UK at a fee of uk£6k. As a Gr 1 winner that looks a fair price. Anyone know what his breeding is? Reply
  • Mark One»Fri Oct 20, 2017 20:08 pm
    I think his middle distance preference is not so commercially acceptable for flat yearling sales but also 6k sterling is a bit much to attract Nat Hunt mares. Basically I think he might fall between the two. Reply
  • Reference Point»Sat Oct 21, 2017 0:13 am
    £3k seems a more than reasonable fee. As you say who's paying £6k for unproven NH in Britain. Reply
  • Oreally»Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:31 am
    I have a different view on this. If he gets the chance from UK flat commercial breeders then he can be given the opportunity to prove himself. He was, IMO, a genuine tough competitor and apparently a sound one two who could travel internationally always giving his best. Top qualities those. So he is being knocked because of his winning distance? Come on, time we took a different look at the qualities we tick in suitable stallions. Reply
  • Irish Paddy»Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:20 am
    I dont think we are talking about the same horse here! Sorry but I just dont rate MONDIALIST as a middle-distant staying type. I know he was not precocious and didnt run at two but he then ran at three (five runs -no win) at four (three runs -one win at 8fur) at five (nine runs-won 3 -one at 9fur and 2 at 8fur incl Gr 1 Woodbine Mile) at six (ran 6 times -one win 10fur Arlington Gr 1) at seven ran 8 times - no win. Total 31 runs - 4 wins. And note - in his whole career he ran only ONCE over 12 furlongs and in that race finished 12th of 12 runners! Reply
  • Reference Point»Sat Oct 21, 2017 16:42 pm
    Notnowcato'ish to me. Decorated Knight or Lightning Spear would be better older horse types for a crack at stud I think Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:22 am
    Whats not to like. He has a nice pedigree, he was a dual G1 winner over 10 furlongs. He was very tough and sound. Forget his early career when he was used as a pacemaker for Intello. He would suit a good range of mares even though Kaldoun in the pedigree can cause a few conflicts. He is not going to mess up your mare in any way. I am a poor judge of value but the 6K looks ok to me when you see what else you can get into for that money. Reply
  • Reference Point»Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:54 am
    I don't think he will be a commercial draw TOTH. Although I agree with you about his pedigree and owner breeders might have an interest for the flat, I think he will quickly become NH only and £6k seems too steep. I am not going to presume to tell you about the quality G1 races around the world TOTH, but I don't think those he won were top draw. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:03 pm
    NO of course they were not. But I have done a bit of work on his pedigree and it is one of those pedigrees which is open enough to work well with a lot of mares and that could be his big plus. Now as I said I am no judge of value but if you are sending a mare to a 6K stallion she is unlikely to be a classic winner. He will do well with Danzigs (perhaps not Green Desert) Pivotal, Giants Causeway. (so Storm Cat) Huge chances with Ahonoora and Indian Ridge. Also big scores with Marju and he can be a difficult one to match. Also Acclamation and his lot. Almost all Mr Prospectors maybe not Zafonic. His major plus is his location in the North East there are a lot of honest mares up there and he may have enough class and toughness to be OK. Although his G1's were nowhere as good as Notnowkato his pedigree is a fair bit classier. Reply
  • Reference Point»Mon Oct 23, 2017 17:41 pm
    what about Lightning Spear and Decorated Knight? what type of mare would suit their pedigrees? Maybe you don't like them, but I have had my eye on them to add a bit of pedigree to a couple of my mares. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:02 pm
    I don't know why sons of Pivotal have fared so poorly this one has a beautiful dam pedigree inbred to 3/4 brpthers. And the dam line to Rare Treat he should be OK. Siyouni is OK and Le Havre from same female family has been very hot. Its a no brainer for him really Sadler's Wells dam sire line then you have inbreeding to another set of 3/4 brothers to compliment the first. Ironically Mondialiste x Pivotal looks strong. Decorated Knight I suspect will stand in Ireland. Unless I have missed something. He will need Danzig, Shirley Heights, and might suit the Acclamation tribe too. I have not done an affinity analysis on him yet but it is in the planning. Reply
  • Reference Point»Tue Oct 24, 2017 17:43 pm
    TOTH, I have a perfect mare for LS and another for DK. The mare for DK is in foal so she won't be going to Ireland so lets hope LS gets a chance somewhere. The mare has Fearless Revival as her 3rd dam and SW close up in her pedigree. Reply
  • TOPOFTHEHILL»Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:00 am
    Maybe just maybe inbreeding to the female family will prove to be the key with the Pivotal sire line in which case you will make yourself a real name. Reply
  • Reference Point»Wed Oct 25, 2017 18:11 pm
    I'd rather make myself a few quid! Reply
Jump to: