FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Foal Sales a disaster!
Irish Paddy

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 0:04 am

I know there is one day still to go and no doubt the big prices will be recorded on Day Five but I think we should stop and analysis the first three/four days of what can only be described as a disaster. In my view I reckon normally all sales have between 10%-15% of sales that are loss makers. This week in my opinion the loss sales must be in the 60% - that puts it in perspective and I include the NOT SOLD lots as virtually being a loss. I don't have stats but instinct and observation leaves a very worrying time for the small number breeders.
It call it a disaster simply because the cost of producing a foal for sale has gone beyond reasonable expectation of making a profit. It is probably worse for fillies so it points the finger at nomination costs as being the main problem. Whether a colt or filly the Vet charges , Registration charges, Sale entry charges and upkeep maintainence charges are all the same - there is not a lot we can do about that. That leaves nomination cost and something must be done to recognise the fact that fillies simply do not record the same average price as colts do. That is fact. The Sales Companies offer approx 55% colts to 45% fillies on their Premier days (I am being kind - the percentages are even worse) so they do not value fillies as highly as they do colts - fact.
(1) Is their a cartel situation amongst stallion owners? I know my answer to that question.
(2) How can Goffs charge an entry fee of €800 for every foal entry over the full five days?
(3) Why aren't the best bred foals offered first on Day One etc.? Goffs and Tattersalls will answer " The best foals and best mares need to run on adjoining days as one cannot expect these big buyers to come over twice" Well, that is the gist of the answer they have given to me asking that question. And their answer is rubbish imo. Serious buyers will come anywhere if the horses are there.
(4) Here's another thought - should the UK/Irish Sales Companies consider selling the best mares and foals on the same day? as they do in Kentucky. Isn't it time we considerd this? I think it is anyway.
Just to add - I didn't offer any foals this year so I am not speaking as a hurt vendor but I have no doubt the foals I do have would have made a loss if offered in that market.
Jump to: