FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

RACING FORUM >> Just an idea!
TOPOFTHEHILL

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:00 am

I love statistical analysis. I suppose that makes ne a nerd, but you pick up all sorts of stuff from newsfeeds and magazines and TV. I have in my mind a couple of statistics that show the contrast between racing in Australia and in Europe (UK to be more specific). Now I have been unable to check the exactitude but forgive any slight discrepancy because the message behind the stats is clear enough.
In Australia one in every 230 of the population has some involvement in race horse ownership, that may be miniscule but they have some personal stake in the industry beyond blowing their hard earned at the local bookies.
In the UK 98% of the population have never set foot on a racecourse.
In the run up to this year’s Melbourne Cup there was an article on the way the public connect with the race through the parade in the streets and get up close to the horses. This was perceived to have great benefits for getting people involved especially young people.
Novel as the idea may seem to our brain dead racecourses, this was common practice many years ago when access to the infield at Epsom on Derby and Oaks days was free to anyone. I believe that this was not a unique concept at other tracks on big days.
Compare this to today where at Newmarket you are no longer allowed to use a public footpath along the barrow adjacent to the July course because people were using it to take a distant look at the bands that perform on a Friday night without paying for the privilege.
Its not common knowledge but every now and then Newmarket open the gates and entry to the track is free. Well actually they don’t open the gates, you have to apply on line for tickets at no cost and present them at the gate. This ‘free’ meeting is one of the most closely guarded secrets in racing. It is almost never advertised and naturally poorly attended.
I have a suggestion for the racecourses to make a real positive contribution to improving attendance and hopefully involvement.
For a minimum of one season make entry to the course (excluding the Grandstand, Tattersalls and Members) free. They can apply a maximum limit for safety if they want but should open up an area of the infield around the track regardless of the status of the race. So that means 2000 Guineas, July Cup, Champions day, everything.
To make the day more interesting for the race fan they could also attend to the abysmal catering provided at most tracks by allowing for a modest entry charge to what I can only describe as street food vendors. There is throughout the country a phenomenal variety of high quality mobile catering facilities offering interesting international cuisine especially for eating on the move which would be ideal for race days.
I would be surprised if race course revenue were reduced at all and suspect that if the days were marketed well revenues would actually increase.
I would love to see the infield at Epsom like it was when I first attended, you couldn’t see a blade of grass, hundreds of thousands of people enjoying a great day out. You never know they may enjoy it enough to pay for entry to the stands one day and even to dream of owning a horse. Now think again about those opening stats 98% of people will never set foot on a racecourse. The potential for growth is astronomical here. When will someone see it.
Jump to: