FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

RACING FORUM >> Winx scares off rivals
Torquil

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:06 am

Recently crowned Australian Horse of the Year Winx will face only two rivals in Saturday's Gr1 Caulfield Stakes (2000m) in Melbourne after four of the original seven entries failed to accept, reports racing.com. Such is Winx's towering reputation that only last-start Gr1 winners Black Heart Bart and He Or She will line up against the superstar mare as she bids for her 12th consecutive victory in the $600,000 feature. "The horses that are there deserve to be," trainer Chris Waller said. "It shouldn't really affect her though pace wise - fast or slow she is adaptable so I'm not too concerned." Hugh Bowman was also not concerned about the small field. "In the small field I can sit last and only be spotting the horses a couple of lengths," the champion jockey said. "It takes the pressure off as far as riding her goes but in saying that I am mindful she has a big task ahead, regardless of this Saturday." Bowman added: "I am mindful she has to race at a premium to make sure she is ready for the main event in the Cox Plate in a couple of weeks' time." Winx (Street Cry-Vegas Showgirl, by Al Akbar) will defend her title in the 96th running of the Gr1 WS Cox Plate (2040m) at Moonee Valley on 22 October. Reply
Jump to: