FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Why are foal Sales different to yearling sales?
Irish Paddy

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 21:20 pm

Sales Companies have a huge influence in the way we breeders have to carry out our business. I don't agree with many of their principles but I accept that they are in the businesss to make money. In Ireland and UK it is an accepted fact that we sell/offer the best YEARLINGS at the start of the sale and then the quality reduces as the sale progresses. That makes perfect sense to me. However, when it comes to the FOAL sales the opposite happens. The lower end of the market foals are sold/offered first with the 'best' and highest priced foals selling on the final days. Where is the logic to this? The Sales companies will tell us it is all about keeping the buyers happy to make just one trip to the sales. Yes that is what they will tell us. What rubbish. How many serious foal buyers are serious mare buyers? And anyway, even if they are the same, why are the bigger spenders given this preferential treatment when the lower end of the market buyers will have to attend the start and then the end of the sales for the lower priced lots? I am interested what others think.....
In the USA the best mares and best foals are sold intermingled on the same day. Best quality on Day One etc.. Should this be considered over here?
Jump to: