FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Pedigree Matters No.8 Leroidesanimaux
TOPOFTHEHILL

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:02 am

Leroidesanimaux has already sired stakes winners including the top running Animal Kingdom. As you might expect the stakes horses he has already sired reflect the genetic strengths that he would have found in the USA. Things are likely to be very different here!

Leroidesanimaux was a multiple Graded Stakes winner in the USA from 6.5 furlongs up to 9 furlongs. He is a grandson of top miler Blushing Groom and looks a lot like his grandfather only a much bigger edition. Blushing Groom descends from a strong female family. His 3rd dam Emali is a daughter of Éclair who’s full sister in Infra Red, the 4th dam of Mill Reef, and 3rd dam of Wollow.

His sire Candy Stripes was not actually a stakes winner but was second in the Poule d'Essai des Poulains (Fr-I). Best known as the sire of Invasor he stood originally in Argentina until he was repatriated to the USA and then shuttled between the two. He was a steady sire rather than a consistent top notch stallion who had sired 59 stakes winners by the time he died.

Leroisesanimaux is capable of getting a stakes winning 2yo and was responsible for the 7 furlong listed winner Tara from the Cape. Mostly however he has sired later maturing types who excelled over 8 – 10 furlongs at 3yo.

A very high proportion of his stakes winners have Hail To Reason somewhere in their pedigree (75%) but he will not be finding too many mares with that profile here. So what should work.

Well Danehill would be high on my list. Danehill has very strong affinity with Blushing Groom and Ahonoora. Chachamadee (by Footstepsinthesand) is inbred to Blushing Groom and out of a Danehill mare, and exciting new stallion prospect Intense Focus pedigree features this cross too.

Sadler’s Wells could work too but there are some negative affinities with Ahonoora so the further back the better, Montjeu and Galileo might be more successful although I suspect he won’t see too many of those.

Mares carrying Pivotal and Nureyev could work very well with Leroidesanimaux, who has already sired a G2 winner out of a mare by Ashkalani.

Sharpen Up lines especially through Kris and Selkirk will suit this stallion very well, and he is standing at the same stud that was occupied by Selkirk.

Inbreeding to Ahonoora has proved to be a very low % play but because Ahonoora features in Leroidesanimaux’s pedigree there are other strategies that could be used to good effect.

Ahonoora is by Lorenzaccio who is by Klairon ex Kalmia by Sweet Lavender. So mares that carry Ambiorix or My Babu or both will provide a background strongly linked and leading back to Sweet Lavender.

There is quite a lot of comonality between these three stallions and this cross has been used to great effect many times, particularly in Australia.

You will still find them here through Waajb (both I think), Marju, Red Clubs, Starborough, Effisio, Falbrav, Hector Protector, Anabaa, Kendor, Lahib, Bahri and First Trump, (just some I can remember).

Inbreeding to Roberto has also been sucessful but is nevertheless another low% play. Its one of those frustrating strategies that can work out spectacularly well but not very frequently.

If we consider the lines that have worked well already for Leroidesanimaux during his stud career to date it might be worth considering mares carrying Halo or Ballade. These will be found in Fantastic Light, Medicean, Dutch Art, Almutawakel, Footstepsinthesand and Intense Focus.

Also mares that carry lines of Nashua. These will be principly through Nayef, Tamayuz, Dubai Millenium, and Whipper.
Jump to: