FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

BREEDING FORUM >> Irish Foal Levy Tax - June 2012
Irish Paddy

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:50 am

Here is another anonymous letter received today which is self explanatory....IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR
BREEDERS

Re: Foal Levy Tax 2012

Date: JUNE 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

The Irish Farmers Association have taken up the cudgel on behalf the Thoroughbred Breeders of Ireland. As reported in the Irish Field on Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 the IFA have had meetings with Weatherbys to discuss the cost for late registration of thoroughbred horses. As a result of this meeting the IFA are asking the Department of Agriculture to allow an amnesty for the late registration of thoroughbreds of all ages. There exists at present in Ireland approximately 4,300 unregistered thoroughbreds which are being neglected and worthless if they have not got a Weatherbys passport. It would apprear from the article that Weatherbys have assured the IFA they will assist any breeder experiencing financial difficulties.

The question must be asked why are the Irish Thoroughbred Breeders Association (I.T.B.A.) who receive €450,000.00 each year from the breeders of Ireland through the foal levy doing nothing to help breeders overcome this horrendous problems when so many animals are suffering and cannot be sold or raced and are financially not viable for Weatherby’s registration because of the exorbitant charges introduced by Weatherbys if you do not register your animal as a foal.

It would appear that the hierarchy of I.T.B.A. are more interested in promoting their personal image through photo shoots with government ministers appearing in the press rather than carrying out the function for which the I.T.B.A. was formed.

Perhaps ITBA could explain what the expo 2012 show which they put on at Leopardstown in February and various roadshows which they have planned throughout the country will achieve for the farmer/breeders who produce some 85% of the foal crop each year and pay two million euro in foal levies yearly for services which should be provided for the breeder by the Irish Thoroughbred Breeders Association, Irish Thoroughbred Marketing and The Equine Centre.

The Irish Equine Centre charge up to 50% more for their services than other established laboratories so why are we handing them one million euro from the foal levy and then being overcharged for their services.

Irish Thoroughbred Marketing are receiving half a million euro from the foal levy to promote the sale of our horses abroad. Judging by recent events at H.R.I. where senior staff of I.T.M. have been removed from office for promoting personal horse sales abroad, we can safely say the breeders are not getting value for their hard earned foal levy cash. All of the foregoing clearly demonstrates that the foal levy should not be paid by Breeders as there are no benefits in return.

Remember you can still have your foal registered by Weatherbys and obtain the passport without paying the foal levy. After all most breeders lose money on their foals so why should we pay a foal levy tax when we are not making a profit or getting any benefit from the recipients of our €2 million foal levy which has been collected annually for the past eleven years.
Jump to: