FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

RACING FORUM >> Cobalt tests positive in Victoria, Australia
Torquil

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 21:24 pm

Peter Moody, Mark Kavanagh and Danny O'Brien have horses test positive for banned substances

Updated Wed at 12:55pmWed 14 Jan 2015, 12:55pm

Three prominent Victorian trainers have had their horses test positive for banned substances, including champion racehorse trainer Peter Moody who could be banned from racing for up to three years.

Racing Victoria confirmed cobalt was found in a sample taken from the Moody-trained Lidari after it finished second in the Turnbull Stakes at Flemington in October.

In humans, cobalt has similar effects as the endurance drug EPO and is toxic at high dosages.

I will ... do everything possible to clear my name.

Peter Moody, trainer

"Racing Victoria stewards have received a report from Racing Analytical Services Limited confirming that a prohibited substance has been detected in a sample collected from the Peter Moody-trained racehorse Lidari," Racing Victoria said in a statement.

The sample was tested in a laboratory in Western Australia before being confirmed by the Hong Kong Jockey Club Laboratory, it said.

Stewards said Moody had been advised of the finding and investigations were continuing.

Moody, who trained champion mare Black Caviar, said he was devastated by the results.

"I have no knowledge or understanding as to how this could occur and will work with the Racing Victoria Integrity Services Department to bring this matter to a conclusion as soon as possible," he said in a statement.

"I take great pride in my role in thoroughbred racing in Victoria and strive to manage my business and support my wonderful group of owners and staff with the highest levels of honesty and professionalism.

"I will continue to pursue this goal over the next few months and do everything possible to clear my name."

Moody said he would not comment further until proceedings into the matter had concluded.

Two more horses test positive for banned substances

Fellow trainers Mark Kavanagh and Danny O'Brien have also been issued with notifications from stewards that their horses tested positive for banned substances.

Kavanagh said Racing Victoria had informed him that one of his runners had tested positive in October, however he did not specify the substance nor the horse involved.

"This has come as a complete shock to me as I have always placed great emphasis on integrity and operating within the rules of racing," he said in a statement.

"We are, unfortunately, not the only stable in this situation.

"I am cooperating fully with the Racing Victoria Integrity Services Department to investigate how this could occur and hopefully we will resolve the matter as soon as possible.

"I have a responsibility to my valued clients and staff to run my stable in a professional manner and I believe I have always done that."

Trainers warned about cobalt

In December, the Australian Trainers Associations (ATA) issued a notice to trainers about the threshold allowed of cobalt, which came into effect this month.

"Cobalt is a naturally occurring trace element which may normally be present in horses at very low levels as a result of the ingestion of feedstuffs that contain it in trace amounts. Cobalt is also present in the structure of vitamin B12," the ATA notice read.

The ATA said the threshold of 200 micrograms per litre in horse urine had been determined after a national survey of cobalt levels in racehorses during training and racing.

"However, trainers are advised that the administration, particularly by injection and on multiple occasions, of certain registered vitamin supplements close to racing may result in a level of cobalt in a subsequent sample that exceeds this threshold," the notice continued.

"Trainers are therefore advised to avoid the use of these supplements close to racing."
Jump to: