FAQFAQ      RegisterRegisterLog inLog in

RACING FORUM >> Scots vote yes to the Status Quo.
Sheikh

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:37 am

"A number of figures within racing in Scotland had stated their uncertainty about what would happen to the industry in the country if a Yes vote was successful with many worried that racecourses would have to close due to a funding shortfall".Trainer Hugo Palmer, who is based in Newmarket but born and brought up in Scotland, said: "Being Scottish born and raised, I'm incredibly proud and relieved to wake up to the news that I'm still British."
Quote:
Now that it's over I thought I'd comment on the pure nonsense that has swung the referendum towards the no vote.The comments above are indicative of the scaremongering that has won the day. Nobody was going to force racing to split into different jurisdictions. The best and most common one was that somehow if Scotland voted for independence it would be separated from the Island of Britain !! All kinds of absurdities where put forward from border patrols to the idea that Banking actually recognises nation borders anymore and would leave Scotland. Really the idea of nationhood has already largely become defunct and irrelevant and the Scots where just voting to have control of their own Finances .It reminded me of the way Irish voters have been terrorised with promises of impending doom if they did not pass European treaty after European treaty to the stage where the German Parliament now sees our budget before we do. Ultimately it makes f all difference to me and the Scots but I hate to see this type of negativity winning out and voters being dooped.
Jump to: